These 10 quick household tasks can all be done in 10 minutes or less and help you get your home and life more organized.
Let’s be real here. Ten minutes isn’t much time at all. When my son asks how much longer before bedtime and I say ten minutes, he groans like I’m telling him to go right now. And when I go to a restaurant on a Saturday night and the hostess says the wait time is ten minutes, I get really excited because I was expecting at least 25. Ten minutes is pretty darn short.
So when you have ten free minutes you assume you can’t get anything productive done, right? Wrong. There are so many quick and easy tasks just waiting for you around the house. And you’ve probably been procrastinating to do all of them.
10 Quick Household Tasks
1. Download a grocery list app to make shopping easier and never forget your pen and paper.
2. Clean out your email inbox. Delete anything you don’t need to keep. And while you’re at it, unsubscribe from stores you don’t shop at anymore. Here’s my step-by-step guide on how to declutter your e-clutter.
3. Pin inspiration for your next home project. Pinterest may seem like fun, but gathering ideas for an upcoming project is actually part of the process.
4. Give your home a quick Swiffer dusting. Those extending poles they have now make dusting really easy and you can get the whole house dust and fur free in no time. Save more time by building your own cleaning schedule.
5. Clean out any old or expired items in your refrigerator. Don’t forget to check the condiments in the door. Rarely do we think about the salad dressings and ketchup bottles.
6. Wipe down the dashboard of your car. It’s so easy and convenient to run through a car wash on your way home from work, but the dashboard often gets ignored. And here’s how you can organize it while you’re there.
7. Check your home air filter to see if it needs to be cleaned or replaced. A good rule of thumb is to check them monthly and change when they start looking yucky. Change them every month if you have pets to keep allergens down. The Organized-ish Home Management Binder Kit can help keep track of this.
8. Log all your to-do’s in your phone and set reminders to help stay focused.
9. Give your bank account a quick check online to make sure there’s nothing out of the ordinary. Most banks have an app for your phone which makes logging in really easy.
10. Make a quick repair. Change a lightbulb, tighten a loose screw, oil a squeaky door, touch up a paint scuff, refill soap dispensers, anything you know you need to do that you keep saying you’ll eventually get around to.
Want More Quick Wins?
Check out the Quick Win Friday archive for all the fast and easy ways you can organize your home and life in just thirty minutes or less. I share a new idea or tutorial every Friday, so you’ll never run out of things to do to get yourself more Organized-ish.
Updated April 2021