Spring is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start taking steps to having a cleaner home. Whether you’ve started your Spring Cleaning or not, here are 10 fast and easy ways to freshen up your house.
1. Wash Your Bed Linens. You wash your bed linens frequently anyway, but this time take a little extra care to really clean your bedding. Wash your sheets like normal, but also wash your comforter, throw blankets, pillow shams, and throw pillow covers.
2. Disinfect Your Mattress. While your bedding is being washed, take that time to disinfect your mattress. I hate using chemicals on my mattress since my allergies are so sensitive, so I spritz vodka on my mattress as a natural disinfectant. It’s odorless, dries quickly, and very effective. I keep cheap vodka in a spray bottle just for cleaning.
3. Sweep Your Front Porch. Nothing feels more like springtime than being outside hearing the birds chirp and feeling the sunshine on your face. On a sunny day this week, head out and give your porch a good sweeping. Don’t forget to knock off any cobwebs or leaves from above, and wipe down the door, too, if you have time.
4. Do A Lightbulb Check. Here’s a fun one you can pass off to your kids. Go around the house and test every single light fixture. Ceiling lights, sconces, table lamps, floor lamps, under-cabinet lighting, appliance lights, and porch lights. Make note of any bulbs that are out and add them to your shopping list.
5. Declutter Your Underwear. When was the last time you purged your old undies? Now is the perfect time to do a good old fashioned declutter fest. If the waistband is stretched, the fabric is damaged or stained, or you just don’t ever wear them, pop those panties in the trash.
6. Disinfect Remote Controllers. A lot of TV watching happened over the winter, and a lot of sniffly noses were there during that time, too. Run a disinfectant wipe over all the remote controllers in the house to get them nice and clean for the next Netflix binge.
7. Test Smoke Detectors. This should be done at least once a season in order to ensure properly functioning emergency detectors. Use the test function on all the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in the house. Replace any batteries that have died, and consider adding a few more detectors to rooms that don’t have them.
8. Purge Magazines. Magazines can quickly pile up, especially after the holidays when we stock up on new inspiration for warmer months ahead. Tear out any dog-eared recipes and take a photo of décor you loved to save on your phone. Then let the physical magazine go to the recycling bin.
9. Clean Your Mailbox. Are there spider webs and dirt inside your mailbox? Does it look like birds used it as target practice? Wipe down your mailbox inside and out so it’s nice and clean. You can also replace any worn out address numbers on the box and tighten loose screws.
10. Dust Light Fixtures. Look up! That chandy in the dining room may have a coat of dust on the bulbs and cobwebs draped over the arms like a scary movie scene. Clean your light fixtures with a long-armed duster, and dust ceiling fan blades inside a pillow case so dust doesn’t get all over the floor.
Need Help With Spring Cleaning?
The Organized-ish Spring Cleaning Planner has checklists for every room of the house so you can spend less time planning your cleaning sessions and more time soaking up the warmer weather. You can get the printable Spring Cleaning Planner here in the Organized-ish shop, and don’t forget to use coupon code SPRING20 at checkout for 20% off.